Sunday, November 27, 2011

The parts of India I know


I was watching the movie “Shor in the city” along with my roommate. For those of all who have not watched the movie, rent a DVD right now and watch the movie.

There are 2-3 storylines in the movie. In one particular story an NRI wants to set up a small business in India. He comes back to Mumbai and opens up an office, when some thugs show up and demand protection money from the person.

The room-mate: I can’t understand why the two people are harassing this NRI dude.

On explaining him that they are asking for the protection money, he is not convinced.

I was a bit surprised, as I can totally relate to this issue. I don’t know about the rest of ‘Shining India’, but the parts of India where I come from this kind of demand is not unheard of. It is not that uncommon as well. Only unlike the movie, the people demanding this kind of money live in huge mansions, with strong political connection having their own rivalry to take care of.

Eventually I want to settle back in my hometown with some kind of a business model suited to the place. And I am mentally prepared to shell the protection money. To be honest, before watching the movie, I never thought that these kinds of thing are some rarity. This is how the India I know works. And it will be very long before the force of Anna can do anything about it.

As for my friend, I guess, he was unable to relate to this part as he does not belong to a business family. Or maybe some other reason, that I don’t wish to analyze. 

No comments: