Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Jindal Diary: Bilaspur to New Delhi


Why do they have a board saying “Foot Over Bridge” on the Foot Over Bridge itself? As if I was somehow going to miss the tiny bridge with stairs and wonder how to cross to the next platform. Or worse still, a person comes to the FOB and realizes “Oh my God! How do I use this thing, I don’t even know what to call it!” What would have made sense is a board placed some distance prior to the FOB telling the person to expect a FOB so that he does rams into the tiny FOB.

Have you ever faced a problem because of abundance of facilities? It so happened, that to catch a connecting train I had to wait on the platform for nearly 6 hours. The platform where I was supposed to wait had in fact too many facilities available for my comfort? Yes! You heard me right, the station and platforms are so well equipped that it is creating a nuisance for you. The intellectuals in you might argue, why I didn’t use the waiting room.

I have a basic problem with the waiting rooms. Somehow I don’t like the look and feel of waiting rooms. I hate waiting. And waiting rooms are especially made for waiting. So as I enter a waiting hall, it reminds me that I am waiting for something. It does not suit me. Hence I prefer to choose a quite little corner on a platform, sit there. Once seated properly I either watch some series or complete that novel I was reading last time.

Now in this particular platform, I went from end to end and there were lots of corners with very little commutation of people. There was one little problem though!

The platform has so many appropriately distanced loud speakers, that it was impossible for me, to find a place where I won’t be hearing the constant announcements of coming trains. Apart from the sound, it irritated me as it sort of teased me, “look buddy, here comes the next train, when is yours coming?”

I will cross one speaker and start moving away from it, feeling really happy as the sound will start diminishing and then suddenly I would enter into the zone of the next speaker. It was really difficult.

Talk of extremes and I have it all. During one of my journeys I travelled a whole 6 hours standing on one foot in the general compartment that was so cramped that even a Raju Shrivastav joke won’t do justice to it. And here I am, sitting in a 3rd AC coach, occupying one seat and having reservation for two seats.

Haha! Twists of life, they amaze me. Some might ask why I book two seats if I was travelling alone. Well the scene is that it was not always like this. You make plans with someone and they agree upon it, you get the tickets booked only to face despair and disappointment.

Sitting in front of me are two Punjs aunties. Now why do I hate (don’t like) people who give away their ethnicity just by the way they dress. I have nothing against Punjs. Even it was two Marwari, a sect to where I belong; I would not have liked it. To top it all they are talking in the regional language. Now I realize that I was living in a myth. I was under the impression that I like Punjabi language but that was Gurdas Mann playing tricks with me.

No comments: